Friday, November 21, 2008

My opinion on "Twilight" the Movie

Oh goodness.... where to begin....

The good things:

Kristen Stewart as Bella was better than I thought she'd be.
Alice was exactly how I thought she should be.
Charlie was my favorite character of all.

The not so good things:

Kristen Stewart was good considering what she was given as a script. But the script wasn't good. Robert Pattinson was just horrible. I had thought he'd do a good job, but he was just awful. The relationship building between Edward and Bella was just not believable. All of a sudden they say they're in love, and you're like "What? In love? When did that happen? You two don't know each other!" I didn't feel the chemistry between them. I didn't feel like they couldn't live without each other, which is totally how you feel throughout the book. So much of the stuff just felt creepy and stalkerish.

The scenes that were really good in the book, were decent, like the part in Port Angeles when he saves her. And the end in the ballet studio. But even the decent parts had bad things thrown into them that really took away from the whole scene.

I agree with a review I read earlier today. If you go into this movie without having ever read any of the books, you'll be thinking "What is all the hype about?" and if you go into it having read the books, you'll at least understand and appreciate that it mostly stays true to the book. But I for one will never see this movie again. I will not buy it, or even rent it. That was enough for me. Reading it is just a million times better. Usually if I have low expectations for something then I'll generally be pleasantly surprised (example being Kristen Stewart's acting). But not this time. I thought I wouldn't enjoy it and I didn't.

I hope if you choose to see it, that you like it far more than I did. The other 3 people I saw it with thought it was good, so I am possibly in a minority. My only hope is that this low budget movie brings in enough cash that they'll be able to have a bigger budget for New Moon, so that they'll be able to give us a much better sequel.

---Update: I've thought of some other things to mention. The meadow scene was highly dissappointing. It was short and just not very special, especially considering that it was the scene that got the whole series going. The sparkling skin was done pretty well, BUT they did a sparkling sound along with it, that was just overkill. In my opinion the best part of the whole night was the Harry Potter preview before Twilight began.

(And on that note, I apologize the last 3 blogs have been about these two movies, no more movie talk for a while, I PROMISE)

2 comments:

Mama Robyn said...

AMEN SISTER THOSE WERE MY EXACT THOUGHTS TOO. only I would add that ROSALIE was Awful and Jasper looked like he had to crap everytime he was on screen. I think if I hadn't read the books I would have liked it but would have been very Confused too. You are not alone sweetie I thought it was Blah too!

Caitlin Dawn said...

Yeah, I actually didn't mind Rosalie. But Jasper was horrible! I just couldn't comment on every bad thing though, because it would've been much too long. And no one wants to hear that much negative.